Have you ever find difficulties in understanding the words in reading the Novels, newspaper headlines, getting the information given before starting the game online, understanding the subtitles of the movie or writing an article for your assignment? If ‘Yes’, then you need a good dictionary app that helps you in your learning. Finding a good dictionary app for Android is another problem but don’t worry we will commend you some of the best dictionary apps that can easily download from the Play store on your Smartphone and help you in every aspect of your life.
So many people think that dictionary is the only need of the learner but I think it is the requirement of everyone. Nowadays, in this advanced technological world, Dictionary apps becomes a tool that helps in understanding, making meanings and pronouncing the words.
Here below are some of the Best Dictionary apps for Android;
1. Oxford Dictionary
The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) app is one of the oldest dictionaries published by Oxford university press in printed form. There have been several editions now published in print form. But you can also get this amazing and remarkable digital dictionary now in your mobile. You can use Oxford Dictionary directly download from the play store. The OED app is one of the best Dictionary apps for Android.
Oxford Dictionary of English app is available in the version 9.1 which was updated last year (2017) with the further addition of some new words by Oxford University Press. It is the comprehensive and authoritative dictionary and I recommend the user to use this app for effective learning.
- It has the latest vocabulary, with over 350,000 words, phrases, and meanings
- With the 75,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, plus those with varying pronunciations (available on Premium only)
- Search through Keyword within compound words and phrases
- Gives you the auto-correct If you are uncertain about the spelling of the target word this app has an automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ (‘*’ or ‘?’) to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
- Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly
- Change the theme of the layout in four beautiful colors.
- Gather your favorite words in a list by ‘favorite’ option
- Learn every day a word from ‘Word of the day’ feature
- Random button available for learning a new word.
- It does not load translate feature on every page.
- So any advertisement
- So many features required internet connectivity
For the advanced learning, you need a good and an effective learning tool. And the Dictionary.com is the best tool for advance learning. The Dictionary.com word search covers more than 2 million English words and synonyms. Your English dictionary and thesaurus is the perfect ACT or SAT prep guide! Learn words and synonyms from your ACT or SAT vocabulary list, study grammar and perfect your spelling. Pronounce English vocabulary, discover the Word of the Day and explore the etymology of English words to supplement your learning.
- It gives Definition and word meanings.
- Grammar, Parts of speech.
- Etymology, synonyms, and antonyms also come in this app
- Audio pronunciation
- Word of the day
- Origin and history of the word are available
- com also explain the words through pictures
- Tests the learner’s vocabulary and grammar by taking the Quiz.
- Too many ads
- Word of the day not frequently working
3. QuickDic Restored
QuickDic dictionary is updated on May 21, 2018, with its new version 2.4.6. It is one of the best dictionary for Android. you can search thousands of word in your QuickDic restored dictionary.
- QuickDic restored teach the learners about the direct word and indirect words
- Give the etymology, parts of speech and phonetic transcription to understand the pronunciation of the words
- This dictionary app provides 3-5 related terms of every word.
- Gives the detail information of the word
- Within this dictionary, there are some other dictionary apps that you can directly download it. Now you can translate or find a word in different languages.
- This app gives you the best match when searched word not found
- Significantly smoother scrolling in many cases
- Has text to speech option.
- Can read whole dictionary entries in context menu instead of searching the one word
4. Dictionary Merriam Webster
Merriam Webster is another renown name for publishing dictionaries and reference books but now you can get America’s most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your Android device. This is the best Android app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building. The app is free but supported by ads but no internet is required. You can use your Merriam Webster dictionary without internet connection to see the definition or thesaurus. But for more advanced features, you need internet to view illustrations, hear audio pronunciations, and use voice search.
- This apps gives the option of voice Search to look up a word without having to spell it
- Vocabulary test also has in this app. New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
- Learn every day a new word from ‘Word of the Day’ feature.
- Synonyms & antonyms are also included
- Example Sentences teach you how a word is used in the context
- Audio Pronunciations is voiced by real English speakers
- Favorite Words and Search History helps to keep track of the words
- You can also use this app on Tablets, Scrolling Index – lets you browse the entire dictionary
- No related words
- Slow in speed
5. English dictionary offline
It’s quite irritating when you cannot use all the features of Dictionaries due to the internet availability. Here, is the solution to your problem. English dictionary offline is now available on play store. This app provides a definition of your words that purely based on Wiktionary. It is a fast, easy and functional user interface. I personally use this app and trust me it’s one of the best dictionaries for Android I have ever used.
You can learn:
- Etymology, synonyms, and antonyms.
- Also, it gives definition and the one-word meanings.
- It has the numbers of examples of the words that really helpful for the learner.
- You can learn the category of the word.
- listen to the audio of the words in the American and British accent without internet
- Phonetic transcription is also written in the IPA format of every word
- Learn word of the day and increased your vocabulary.
- It consists of more than 3 lakhs English definitions with inflected forms.
- list your bookmarks, personal notes and search history
- For uncertainty this app provides the Crossword help option, you can place the symbol on a single uncertain position of that letter.
- Shuffle button helps you learn new words randomly.
- Share word definition with your friends by using other apps, like Gmail or Whatsapp
- Compatible with Moon+ Reader, FBReader and other applications via the share button
- You can change the themes with user-defined text colors
- Text to speech options with a British or American accent
- Save history in a list
- It has the customizable font size and line spacing, default screen orientation
- Startup option: home page, most recent word, random word or word of the day
- Text to speech sometimes not work
- Not defined through pictures
6. Dictionary WordWeb
Comprehension and easy to understand the meaning is the basic requirement of every user. Everyone wants a clear understanding of words and this dictionary fulfill all your requirements. This is also a free offline English dictionary and thesaurus with synonyms, related words and great search and no advertisements. Audio pronunciations are available with the separate Audio Edition app.
- 285,000 words, phrases, and derived forms
- 225,000-word sense definitions
- 70,000 usage examples
- 85,000 text pronunciations
- Synonyms, similar and related words
- North American, British, Australian and international English accent in an audio feature
- Full Bookmark support and add history to the list
- Suggest correct spelling in the search bar as the google search engine provides the correct spelling while writing on it.
- It is also listing the confusing same sound words (homophones).
- The database includes proper nouns and common abbreviations in addition to English vocabulary (e.g. LOL, Oxford, JPEG, Webster, UNHCR, etc.)
- You can quickly look up words from within other apps by selecting the word, then select WordWeb from the pop-up menu (requires Android M and higher).
- can’t change the layout themes
7. Pocket Thesaurus
Words are the beauty of your writing, using the correct word on right place is the major criteria. Only those who have the vast vocabulary know the importance of thesaurus.
A pocket thesaurus is one of the best Dictionary app for the writer who wants to increase their vocabulary and very concern about using the word at correct places. This pocket thesaurus is an offline English dictionary containing synonyms and antonyms of more than 90,000 common words.
- Completely offline dictionary with over 90, 000 common words.
- It is smallest in MBs with less than 20 MB download and no other online dependency.
- Bookmark word for later use.
- View numbers of synonyms or antonyms by clicking on a word.
- You can see the history of previously searched words.
- Using the Floating Thesaurus feature, see the synonyms of any word by simply selecting it.
- Switch between dark and light themes.
- Share your favorite words with your friends.
- It has audio in American Pronunciation
- Get the promo code to download Pocket Thesaurus Premium for free if five of your friends download the app when you with them.
- Too many advertisements
8. Universal Dictionary
It is the wow moment when you get each and everything in a single app. Offline dictionaries allows you to browse dictionaries without an internet connection, such as when you’re on a plane, traveling abroad, out of cellular tower range or if you want to save battery!
Numbers of world’s languages including English, Spanish, Arabic, French, Portuguese, Russian, German, Turkish, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Italian, Persian, Farsi, Thai, Hebrew, Urdu, Dutch, Kurdish, Indonesian, Malay, Hindi, Pashto, Swedish, Danish, Greek, Polish, Romanian, Ukrainian, Esperanto, Bengali, Bangla.
- Can Pronunciation for any text
- Ability to find similar phrases or sentences
- Translate text directly in a web browser and other apps.
- Also Include Web dictionaries (Oxford, Cambridge, Wiki, etc).
- No internet required
- Review words with Flashcards.
- It is a Picture dictionary
- Cloud backup
- Synchronize word lists across multiple devices
- It reminds the Words every day.
- Required internet for searching the words in another language
- Can’t change the layout themes
- Popup option does not work on every page
9. English to Urdu Dictionary
Are you studying Urdu or a student of English? Have you find any problem in understanding of the meaning of a word in Urdu or sometimes in English. Don’t take stress more! I’m sure you will get big relief after downloading this app from the play store in mobile phones. This is the app for both the students who are studying English and Urdu
This app is available in English to Urdu Dictionary app and Urdu Roman to English containing 300,000+ words in both the languages. You can write a word in Urdu language and get the translation in English. similarly, you can write English word and learn Urdu translation. It is the best app for bilingual students who are learning a language. Moreover, other users like businessmen, players, teachers, children etc. can also use this outstanding app without internet connectivity.
- Translate English to Urdu and Urdu to English in Roman vise verse
- Use Speech to text feature
- Add words or remove words from study plan
- Provide definitions, synonyms, antonyms and related words in both the languages
- Gives auto-suggestion
- Wanna change the Layout? You can! It is very simple and is user-friendly.
- Users can use this with no internet connection
- Click Bookmarks or Favorites and add words to favorites list
- Its Thesaurus sorted the list of all words starting with alphabets in English, Roman, and
- Test your vocabulary by Multiple Choice Question Test
- Turn on/off the notification. It will notify you with a word daily to increase your vocabulary
- Learn every day a new by ‘Word of the Day’
- Both English and Urdu Keyboards are available
- Word spelling, using Text-To-Speech module (No Internet Connection required).
- Vocabulary is updated from time to time on the weekly basis.
- Too many ads
While searching for a Best dictionary app for Android you need to first look at its basic features like one-word meanings or definition of the words, parts of the speech, synonyms, and antonyms, audio pronunciation in different languages and examples etc. If all these features are available in your digital dictionary with some advanced options then you will not need to bear the pain of carrying the fat physical dictionaries more that has limited features in it.
If we have missued any of your Best dictionary apps for Android do let us know down in the commens below.