If you’re fed up of consistently hearing the scheduled live streaming radio shows, most of which don’t really intrigue you, then why not switch to podcast or more specifically to podcast Apps? Owning an Android phone is not less than a privilege these days because of the facilities that it comes up with.
In the following article, we will be exploring What is Podcast App? What are some of the best Android podcast apps? And what amongst these best Android podcast apps are available for free which you can enjoy?
Podcasts root back to as early as the 1980s. To answer the question as to What is Podcast? then, with the advent of broadband, the podcasts, alternatively called ‘audio-blogging’ also came into being in the form of iPod etc. And after the advent of Androids, the podcasts have started making its place in the form of Apps now. Below are mentioned some of the Apps, the features of which are mentioned briefly.
1- Podcast Go
With 4.7 rating in the Google Play store, Podcast Go is the first in our list of Best Podcast App for Android. Podcast Go offers its users with a wide range of features and options. One of the top most favorite of users as per our research. Some of the key features of Podcast Go includes downloading episodes for offline, creating one’s own playlist, controlling speed rate, choosing one’s favorite app theme. Also,
Podcast Go also cover a wide variety of categories which vary from Arts and Business to Comedy and Games, from News and Politics to Society and Culture, Podcast Go offers podcasts in almost all the categories.
- You can download any of your favorite episodes and can listen to them offline.
- Control the speed rate and choose any of your favorite themes.
- Subscribe to podcasts and get notifications for the new episodes.
- Save your podcasts to your SDCard.
- Create your own playlist.
2- BBC iPlayer Radio
With 4.6 rating in the Google Play store, BBC iPlayer Radio is second in our list of Free Podcast App for Android. BBC iPlayer Radio is more than a radio because not only does BBC iPlayer offer live streaming, but it offers its users with the best podcasts as well. From adult’s to children’s, iPlayer Radio offers its users with the best experience. The App is an easy and friendly user. With its sophisticated UI/UX, it offers its users with the best quality podcasts available. One can choose one’s favorite series and you are ready to go.
One of the best things about iPlayer is that it’s completely free. Well, one of the distinctive features of BBC iPlayer Radio is that not only does it offer podcasts on a day to day matters but it also offers educational podcasts on improving one’s English. Different matters are discussed within this sphere.
- You can listen to BBC Radio stations Live anywhere in the world.
- If you missed any of the programs, you can catch it later on as well.
- Check out the categories with agility.
- BBC iPlayer Radio supports Chromecast and Chromecast Audio support.
- You can also download your favorite programs/episodes and can listen to them later on.
3- Pocket Casts
With 4.6 rating in the Google Play store, Pocket Casts is the third in our list of podcast apps. Both BBC iPlayer Radio and Pocket Casts have the same ratings but because of the difference in content, we have given precedence to BBC iPlayer Radio over Pocket Casts. Pocket Casts key features include Powerful Playback, Smart Tools, and Synch feature. The Synch features allow the user to restart their episode where they left off without having to go through the play-it-all-again efforts.
The distinctive feature of Pocket Casts UI/UX is that the theme of the podcasts changes as per the change in the podcast for giving the best user experience to its users. Pocket Casts give the option of Android Wear as well as of Android Auto for controlling the functions of your episodes. Pocket Casts is amongst one of those Apps which has been chosen by Google Play Editors as well as by has been chosen as Top Developers by the Google Play.
- Pocket Casts allow choosing between the theme of dark and light displays.
- You can trim the silences between the episodes and can finish them faster.
- Speed up while hearing your podcast anywhere between 0.5x to 3.0x.
- You can increase the voices in the podcast by minimizing the background noise.
- Pocket Casts allow you control playback from your wrist via Android Wear.
With 4.5 rating in the Google Play store, Spreaker is the fourth in our list of podcast apps for Android. Spreaker is amongst one of the trendiest apps. Easy and flexible to use with elegant UI/UX, Spreaker offers its users to listen to their favorite shows for free. One of the fascinating features amongst many of Spreaker app for Android is that it offers its user with numerous categories to choose from. Whether you are a tech savvy who wants to hear the latest news on technology or a book geek who wants to discover about the latest release in books, from business and finance to audiobooks, Spreaker App covers it all. Apart from these features,
Spreaker features some podcasts in its ‘Featured This Week’ where you can hear some of the featured podcasts. The popular shows and staff picks are amongst something which can’t be missed out since they are specifically picked out by the Spreaker itself. However, with such amazing features that Spreaker has to offer, it obviously comes with some cost. If you want to create your own podcast list or want to go live via Spreaker then there are some pricing plans that you have to adhere by.
- Spreaker allows you to access thousands of shows, podcasts, and live broadcasts/streaming.
- You can simply sign up via Google+, Twitter or Facebook.
- The options of Downloads, Listen Later, Likes and History make it more feasible to find spontaneously.
- You can easily browse through the channels and lists which are organized as per the topic and the theme.
- The new updated version allows the listeners to chat when the podcaster goes live as well as allows you to keep your favorite shows personalized.
With 4.4 in rating on Google Play store, TuneIn is the fifth in our list of podcast apps. TuneIn is the next podcast on our list. TuneIn offers the same features as do others. From some of the world-class content which allows one to hear live news from BBC, Heart, LBC London, Global Radio and others, TuneIn offers a number of other features too but those features come with a cost. One has to pay for buying their premium version. With its premium feature,
TuneIn allows you to have access to a library of over 40,000 audiobooks along with that it allows you have to have access to 600 commercial free stations and the premium feature also eradicates those nagging banner ads. The key features include live radio stations to online radio. Apart from that, TuneIn has the option of sharing on social media sites while you are listening to your favorite radio station or podcast episode. Another distinctive feature of TuneIn is that you can use Google Voice feature which is integrated into this app.
- It allows you to hear AM/PM online radio.
- TuneIn allows you to hear sports talk live from NFL, NCAA college football games, NBA basketball, and NHL games.
- It supports the Google Voice feature as well.
- TuneIn supports the famous radio stations as well. Such as BBC, CNN, ESPN etc.
With the 4.2 rating in the list, Mixlr is the sixth in our list of Best Podcast App for Android. Mixlr is amongst one of the best Android Podcast apps since it allows its users to hear the live podcasts without any hustle and bustle. One can hear podcasts on it either live or recorded without enduring the technicalities that most of the apps offer since Mixlr offers it in just a swipe away. One of the fascinating factors of Mixlr is that even if you forget to attend some scheduled live session,
Mixlr reminds you by sending a notification whenever the podcaster goes live. Just like many other Apps, Mixlr also comes with a price. Though, for its listeners, it is completely cost-free, albeit if you desire to upload your own podcasts or would want to go live then you are required to choose some of their plans.
- Mixlr broadcasts high-quality audios with your built-in mic.
- Mixlr allows you to share, export and playback your broadcasts subsequently.
- You can record your broadcasts locally and can save them on your showreel.
- Instead of going through the process of registering separately, Mixlr allows you to simply register and login via Facebook.
- You can follow any of your favorite content creators and can receive a push notification whenever they go live.
Stitcher is the last app in our list of Android Podcast Apps. It has been rated 3.9, the lowest amongst all in our list of this Podcast Apps, by the users. Some of the Stitcher’s key features include, as per the App’s description in Google Play store, exclusive premium shows, Personalized Front Page, Stream Podcasts on demand, Custom Playlists, Android Auto and Other In-Car Play and Smart Speaker Integration.
Stitcher is amongst those Podcast Apps which has been featured in the Top 5 Podcast Apps of Time Magazine as well as in the 12 best Entertainment Apps of PC World and in the 20 Best Apps of TechCrunch.
It caters more than 100,000+ podcasts and have divergent categories of podcasts- which include Comedy to Business and Industry, from Popular and Trending to News and NoteWorthy, from Politics to Education, The Stitcher app for Android gives its users almost every sort of category which the users can go through as per their requirement.
- 1Stitcher allows having a personalized front page.
- You can download the podcasts for later.
- You can create your own playlists of your favorite shows.
- It supports Android Auto and integrations with over 50 other car models from Ford, GM, Mazda etc.
- Stitcher offers exclusive premium shows, the content of which is exclusively created by Stitcher’s Productions.
Try any of the above Podcast Apps for Android and enjoy your rides to college, office or universities or perform your daily chores while listening to your favorite shows.